“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Ten Truths of Being a Peace Corps Teacher


1. I get a coconut brought to me daily from my students because apples are so 2014.

2. I go to church with all my students on Sunday mornings and afternoons (and Wednesdays after school and Fridays before school and really every time the church bells ring).

3. I eat almost every meal at my student’s houses.

4.  When a child doesn’t come to school I go to his/her house to assess if the student is actually sick or pretending to be sick. They usually come back to school with me.

5. When a child doesn’t do their homework or is misbehaving in class I mention their mom’s name.

6. And if the name drop doesn’t work I stop by said child’s home after school. Homework is turned in and attitude is always in check the following day.

7. There are only about 6 hours of every day that a child isn’t outside my house. In America we would consider it stalking. In a Peace Corps’ country we call it “What will the American do next? Laundry, sleep, breathe? So many crazy activities.

8. I teach them one song and they sing it…maybe forever. I taught them a Christmas song and come Easter they are still singing Jingle Bells.

9. I doubt my ability of being a parent/wanting to be a parent at least ten times every day.

10. But at the end of every day you know that you have the best students in the whole world and the thought of ever having to say goodbye to them makes your heart break and then you just want to go hug all of them and tell them you are so proud of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment