“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Ko e Toe Tu'u


Celebrating Easter in Tonga was delightful. In America holidays like Christmas and Easter are heavily connected to Santa and the Easter Bunny, and children getting rewarded for being “good”. In Tonga instead of having Santa and the Easter Bunny they have Jesus. The church has a program for the youth called Apitanga. It spans over the weekend leading up to the holiday. In these few days there is a lot of church, laughter, and of course food. The kids have a big sleepover at the church and the church hall. There are a lot of sessions. The students learn action songs, create skits, learn about Jesus, and good decision making. A big part of Apitanga that stuck out to me was something that my town officer’s wife said. Nancy told me, “The children don’t always understand the depth of their religion and they don’t always make the best choices, but that is why we do this. We do this so they know we love them for who they are. We are celebrating them in the same way Jesus does”.

I of course was asked to participate in an action song. They just cannot get enough of my moves J but honestly, who can?





And I got to lead the himi (hymns) for the Sunrise Good Friday service. My counterpart, Meleongo was the failotu (gave the sermon). As a result of leading the himi I was told after next year I am the failotu -__- And when I was practicing I sure did say “hit shit” in Tongan instead of a holy word. I won’t be living that down anytime soon.


Celebraing Easter in Tonga was nice, but I’m going to push for an Easter egg hunt next year!

Happy Easter, friends from me and Faina!


No comments:

Post a Comment