“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, September 6, 2015

ONE Year


Earlier this week marked a year since I left Liberty, Missouri.  A year since I have seen the majority of my friends and family. A year since I slept in my own bed, in my childhood room. A year since I have had my dad’s infamous breakfast. A year since I began the biggest adventure of my life!

And today marks a year of living in the Kingdom of Tonga. Before coming to Tonga I had had my fair share of heartbreak, frustration, love, and laughter, but Tonga has shown me a whole different side to these emotions.

I have never known heartache like the heartache I have had here. My heart hurts everyday when I think of home. When I find myself feeling left out of the lives back at home that I care the most about. When I have had a bad day and I just want to eat an ice cream cone with my dad or cry on my mom’s shoulder. Every night before I go to sleep and I think to myself, I hope these people that I love so much remember me. I hope I still fit into their lives and that they still want me. I feel so much sorrow when the people I love at home have heartbreak and there is nothing I can do half way across the world. My heart hurts so much when I think about leaving my life here in Tonga in just over a year, at the chance of never seeing these people who have taken me in and loved me as one of their own again. No matter how hard it was to say goodbye to my family and friends back at home it will be tremendously harder to say goodbye to my family and friends here because even though I have my insecurities I know the people that matter will be greeting me with open arms when I return to the States. I know that people will still love me and have a spot for me, we will just have some catching up to do. When I left the US I knew I would see everyone again in 26 months, but I don't know when I will see these people again. And that makes me sad, but even more grateful for the time I do have to spend with them!

But, for every minute of heartache there are a thousand minutes of love and laughter. I fully believe that I live in the happiest place on Earth. I am so happy. My heart is overflowing with happiness. I wake up everyday and go to sleep every night to the sound of the Pacific Ocean. I am constantly being fed warm meals and being asked if I am okay or if I need anything. I am told that I am loved multiple times of every day. Coconuts are left on my porch. I laugh. And I joke. I have truly found a best friend and sister in a Tongan and not only her, but also her whole family. I have had the opportunity to meet 14 other Americans that I probably never would have crossed paths with in America. I have gotten to go on so many adventures here in Tonga and see so much natural beauty. I have learned so many new things, my views and perspectives have been widened, and my heart just keeps getting bigger! I am so excited for this next year of life!


This past year would not have been possible without a lot of people, but my appreciation especially goes out to my other palangis here on the island of ‘Eua. Us palangis gotta stick together. ‘Ofa lahi atu, moutolu! 


Ten facts from the last 365 days!

1. I have read 46 books (wanted 52, but I just love having time to read again).
2. I have swam with humpback whales.
3. I have eaten raw fish and it has become one of my favorite foods!
4. I have been on the world’s shortest commercial flight! (8 minutes)
5. A baby was named after me. 
6. I have become a mother and a glamma of six furry babies.
7. I have been ten feet away from a King
8. I have been complimented, not only on my dancing, but my singing as well. 
9. I have learned a new language and I am still learning.
10. I have climbed a coconut tree (that’s not actually true, but I’m trying!)
Thanks for the continual support! It means more than I could ever explain. Here is a short video highlighting my favorite memories of this first year! 
'Ofa lahi atu <3

1 comment: