“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, February 14, 2016

The FamBAM takes the South Pacific

I started 2016 off with family, Fiji, and turning a year older. I flew into Fiji the night before my dad, Debbie, and Emily arrived. Waking up at 4am the following day to go and retrieve them from the airport.  That first day together was full of random hugging, tropical drinks at the beach, and pure happiness. Being in Fiji was full of relaxation. Emily and I got pedicures. My dad and I spent a morning in town and ate some native Indian food. Debbie and I spent hours having girl talk. The best part of Fiji was doing nothing. It was relaxation, yummy food, and quality time with my family.

After five days of bliss we packed up our belongings and we began our travel to my island, ‘Eua. Our first night in Tonga I got the opportunity to introduce my Tongan family to my American Family. It was so special for 3 women who all consider me a daughter to get to meet and be together. I think it was so reassuring to my dad to finally meet the people who cared for me when I first arrived to Tonga. They kept telling my dad, Debbie, and Emily how I am their princess and they treated me like a princess when I lived with them. It was so sweet to be all together. 
The next day we boarded the world’s shortest commercial flight on a 17passenger plane to ‘Eua. Eight minutes later we were finally home. We were greeted at the airport by Sammy who came bearing flower leis. Meleongo’s family welcomed my family with a Tongan lunch and some fakamalos (speeches). It was exciting to explain to them what all the different foods were and to see which ones they liked and others they weren’t so sure about. It was funny because there were so many things that I didn’t like when I first came too, but now love and eat on a regular basis. They were all so surprised to see how much raw fish I was eating and maybe even more surprised how much they liked it.
We went on a couple of hikes and did a lot of exploring to caves, cliffs, and beaches. Had a pig roast. Went to church in matching traditional Tongan clothing. They got to meet the people who mean the most to me here, both American and Tongan. I preformed Tongan dancing for them with the help of the people in my village. My dad and I went out to see with some men from my village and line fished. We (they) caught 45 tunas and I turned as green as the boat! But, most importantly I think, and hope that my dad, Debbie, and Emily got a real understanding of what my life is like here in Tonga, mostly all the good parts and little of the not so good.
A common theme of their time here was thankfulness. The Tongan people shared how thankful they were for me being here and for my family to come visit. My family gave thanks to the Tongan people for caring for me and loving me. I was thankful for all the stuff the Tongans did to show my family hospitality while they were here and that my family took the time and money to come and see me. 

Thank you so  much for coming to see me and be a part of my life here in Tonga. It means more than words could explain! 


2 comments:

  1. I am so glad they had this time with you! I Love you and miss you! Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful reading about Tonga! Keep up the wonderful work. Time flies by! -Feleti PC Tonga Group 75 GPS Matamaka

    ReplyDelete