“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Monday, November 10, 2014

Angaanganoa

Malo e lelei!

Life is so happy here in 'Eua. The rest of the Kingdom of Tonga calls 'Eua "angaanganoa", which means nothing matters. Not to say that people do not care about things in 'Eua, but that the people of 'Eua are laid back and easy going. Perfect example of this slow motion island is I keep trying to do something and I will be on my way to do it, but then something or someone always changes my path. I will be walking somewhere and I will meet someone and my whole day will change.

Another big part of 'Eua culture is kaka mo'uga, otherwise known as hitchhiking. Nobody reading this from home needs to worry about my safety! Even if I did not want to hitchhike it would be pretty hard to avoid for the following reasons. There are three big differences between hitchhiking in the United States and 'Eua.The first is I would never hitchhike in the US, but in 'Eua it is my main method of transportation. The second is in the US you have to try really hard to get picked up and if you do get picked up you will only get as far as the driver is going and then you are back on your own; but here in 'Eua if you are walking down the road most likely within the first five minutes of your walk a ride will be offered and that person will take you where you are going no matter where it is and there is a good chance they will also take you back. The third difference is hitchhiking in the US is getting in the car with a complete stranger and unknown intentions, while in 'Eua you will probably be familiar with the person or they will know you and tell you that they know you are the Peace Corps in so and so village and they know you because of so and so family member. Ultimately, hitchhiking in 'Eua is more like getting a lift from an extended family member!

And in case anyone was wondering I am still Martha Stewart. I made a chocolate cake with homemade banana icing for Sammy's birthday!  'Ifo aupito as they would say in Tonga!

After the birthday celebration we got to spend the last few days with the wonderful Nia and Noa, two of our fearless Tongan leaders! They came to 'Eua to do a workshop with us and our principals! Nia and Noa stayed at the resort in my village and went to church with me on Sunday morning! It was so great for them to be here and it was exciting to share our new homes with them! I hope to be the perfect combination of Noa and Nia when I grow up, fabulous women!

 Noa
 Nia
Noa, Sami L, Me, Sammy B, Nia

This week at school I am starting to do some more school work with the students. I have started to read a Magic Tree House book with the class five and six students! And in the next week I will be working on creating a school garden with my students. After school is over in November for summer break I will be doing different activities with the students for a few hours everyday. We will be reading, exercising, crafting, singing Christmas songs, and playing games! It is going to be a fun next three months! 

Here are some fun pictures of my students! 



I have a student named Maka and Maka the kitty loves him! 

And to conclude this blog I would just like to share a picture of my view while writing to y'all about my beautiful life here in Tonga! 

'Ofa lahi atu!

1 comment: