“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Officially a PCV

A lot has happened in the last few days. On Wednesday I found out what island I would be living on and what village. DRUM ROLL...I am moving to the island 'Eua and will be living in the village Tufuvia! I will post some pictures of my crib and THE BEACH I live right next to soon! Moving with me to 'Eua are the two Sams! It is a dream team (we just wish are boo boo Kayla was coming too!

 I was really happy to find out my site!
 'Eua sister wives!
 Kayla in her new house!
 I didn't want to say goodbye to KayKay

I also became a mother on Wednesday to a three week old kitten. I do not even like cats and kittens are a lot of work, but they do kill the bugs so therefore, I appreciate the cat. Full circle. Her name is Maka. In Tonga maka means rock, which I thought was appropriate because she is a survivor (mama cat abandoned her) and it is also a Tongan beer.




Then on Friday we swore into the Peace Corps! It was such an amazing experience. The venue we swore in at was right on the water and it was majestic. During swearing in Kelsey and I delivered a thank you speech, we did a traditional Tongan dance, and we made a pledge! I had three costume changes throughout the ceremony, all of which were made by my host mom!







 Yesterday, I arrived in 'Eua. I took a three hour ferry and it was rough times. The water was very choppy and the boat was very shaky. After getting off the boat I was sick and would be just fine never getting on it again (which means I may never come home). Pictures are to come of my new home! I was a little nervous to sleep in my house by myself, but I was so tired that it really didn't matter. When I woke up this morning I had a swollen face. I am currently having an allergic reaction to something and it is not awesome.


I am now into my third month of service and have experienced three medical complications. Hopefully December will give me a break!

'Ofa lahi atu!

No comments:

Post a Comment