“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Uatolu

Today is my birthday and I am 23. Feels odd to be the age described as 23. I have heard from friends and have even read articles about the 23rd year of life being a hard one. It is not necessarily an exciting year and it can be a stressful time for many young people. However, I get to spend my 23rd year of life on a tropical island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean so I have pretty high hopes for this year of life.

My wonderful friends and co-volunteers spoiled me today for my birthday! They are the best. They sang me happy birthday, made me cookies, got me a cake, and even went out for a birthday dinner and drinks! My fabulous island mates and my girl Kay Kay from my language group/first roommate/first Peace Corps friend got me the most incredible birthday present. I have had my eye on these journals that are covered and bound using tapa and decorated with Tongan art for a while now to use as a journal/scrapbook of my time here, but hadn’t gotten one yet because they are a little pricey. Well, what do you know…these three beautiful people got me one for my birthday. I could not stop smiling. I was cheesing hard. I cannot wait to use and then have it as memory of my time in Tonga for the rest of my life.

It was just a really happy day surrounded by really wonderful people. And luckily for me my birthday is officially over in Tonga, but It has just begun in America. Birthday celebration round TWO!




No comments:

Post a Comment