“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Faka'ofa'ofa Tonga (Beautiful Tonga)

I want to start this post with a quote from my country director, Eddie, "Be quick to listen and slow to speak. Be humble. Live well." I have decided that this is the key to succeeding in the Peace Corps. Being a part of the Peace Corps is all about service and through genuine service you will better the life of others, while also bettering yours. 

The beauty of Tonga constantly amazes me. I was walking through my village the other night and I looked up at the sky and it straight up looked like the scene from Lion King when Mufasa is showing Simba the stars. They are incredible and probably my favorite part about Tonga thus far.

On top of loving the stars, I cannot get enough of the 'oseni (ocean). On Saturday we went into the capital, Nuku'alofa for water safety training. We jumped off of a Navy boat into the 'oseni, learned some water survival tips, and had to swim to shore. It was so fun!
We got to also explore around the market and I got a traditional Tongan outfit. It's the best (picture to be posted later)!

I can now officially introduce myself in Tongan and talk in some complete sentences :) Here are the lovely girls that I share a language teacher with! We are three peas in a pod!
(left to right: Sammy, Me, Kayla)

Here are just a few more pictures of my Tongan adventures!
Outside the Tongan Peace Corps Office

 I cannot get enough of these pigs!



1 comment: