“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, September 5, 2014

Posh Corps

I am currently in the phase of Peace Corps that people like to refer to as Posh Corps because it's three days of pure spoiledness. 

We took off from La at 1:15am on September 3 and landed in Fiji at 7am on September 4. On the 11 hour flight I slept close to 9 hours. It was blessed. 


As soon as we got off the plane a man was chopping coconuts and we got to enjoy some fresh coconut water. 

We then headed to a small local hotel in Nadi, Fiji where we were able to shower and have a very delicious and fresh breakfast. After breakfast we got to experience a traditional Fijian welcoming ceremony. It was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever experienced. During this ceremony we become a part of the Fiji family. They make a drink called Kava where they soak and beat a kava root into water. Then everyone has a glass of the kava. Also during this a chief was named for our Peace Corps group and Fijian songs are sang. I will get to experience a similar ceremony once arriving in Tonga. 

To say the least day one in Fiji was incredible. 

Today was day two in Fiji and it was just as wonderful. We started in on training again and really started to learn some Tongan language. Our language instructer's name is Noa (pronounced as Noah). She is wonderful. We taught her to say, "bye, y'all" and it is the best. 

After morning lessons we got to meet the  Ambassador from the US Embassy for Tonga and Fiji. She was an incredible woman! 

After dinner we had a talent show and I did the Pledge of Alligence in sign language. There was definitely a lot of laughter during this portion of the evening. 

It is my last night in Fiji. Tomorrow afternoon I will take a two hour flight to Tonga. Once arriving in Tonga I will move into a host family and begin my Tongan training for the next two months. 

Here are some other fun pictures of my trip this far! 


Much love, friends! 

Ps. The letter B doesn't exist in Tonga so I'm going to get a new name :) 




1 comment: