“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Tongan Way

Malo e lelei, 

I have finally made it to Tonga and it is everything and more than what I imagined. I'm living in the village Nukunuku with a host family who have been treating me just wonderfully and feeding me lots and lots of food! On my first night with them my host mother, Nata served me four hot dogs, a plate of potatoes, and watermelon :) It was hilarious. I have been eating a lot of peanut butter, bread, sweet potatoes, papaya, coconut, and cookies because my mom thinks Tongan food will make me sick. I usually get about one traditional Tongan food a day. And Tongan food is blessed.

 Group 79 is in Tonga, y'all

On Sundays it is safe to say that the majority of Tongans go to church at least once that day. My family goes to the Church of Tonga. It was a very beautiful service though I didn't understand a single word of it. After church many Tongans eat a traditional meal called Lu. Lu is meat, onions, and coconut milk wrapped in talo leaves and then cooked in an oven in the ground called an omu. My first Lu experience was lamb and it was so so so good! Talo leaves with coconut milk is a similar taste to creamed spinach (yumm).

After church my host brother and sister, Tevita and Nia took me to the ocean and to this place called the blow holes. It was first of many times this past week that I have had tears from just the overwhelming beauty surrounding me.

Faka'ofa'ofa Matatahi 
(Beautiful Beach)



                                                 
At the blow holes with Tevita and Nia! 


I also have a host grandpa. He is 92 years old, the oldest man in Nukunuku. He wakes up around 3am every night and sings. It's pretty awesome!

I have already learned so much of the Tongan language. It is so fun and exciting to learn a new language. It has also been quite entertaining because well I say the wrong words a lot. I have a fabulous language teacher, Tulukava, but we call her Tulu. My family also owns a lot of animals. There are baby pigs everywhere and I love it! And another pig of ours is getting ready to have babies. I asked Tevita if I could help the pig deliver the babies and he just laughed (but I was being serious). I will let you know how my pig delivery goes! I also touched a cow today, which was a bit overwhelming, but awesome.
 Puaka
  Pulu

Yesterday, Nia told me to give her my laundry because Nata was going to wash it today. I got really stressed out about my underwear hanging in the front yard. I ask Nia about it and she just said, "It's the Tongan way". So to say the least my underwear was hanging on the line in the front yard for all to see today! 

There have been multiple times this week where I have just stopped and thought "What is my life?" It is so incredible that I am living in this beautiful place with these wonderful people. I am absolutely in love with Tonga. 

Faka'au a

2 comments: