“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fefine, Kuitangata, Hina, mo e Valevale

(Women, Grandpa, Spiders, and Babies)

In Tonga the Month of September is the Month of Women. It was a fabulous month. During this month there are different activities that take place throughout the churches to honor the women. One activity that my church does for the women is the youth make a drama for the all the mothers. They give thanks, sing, dance, etc. for all the mothers of the church during a drama. Mother's Day was this past week on Wednesday, which is the day that the drama is performed. All the mothers dress in all white and watch the performance, at the end of the performance all the people involved in the drama come and kiss and hug all the mothers. Throughout the performance both the people involved in the drama, as well as the people watching the drama became emotional. I understood maybe every 10 words or so throughout the drama and it was by far one of the most emotional experiences of my life. I sat next to my host mom and tears ran down my face because there was an overwhelming amount of love happening around me. In Tonga your mother is considered to be the most important person in your life because they gave you life. This experience that I got to be a part of just really taught me that love is truly blind. Love does not see race, gender, ethnicity, etc. Love is powerful and can be shown and felt in a lot more ways than with words. This experience is my favorite part of Tonga thus far.

Here is a picture with my two host moms and my sister after the drama. 
(Nia, me, 'Asinate, Kalo)

Not to take away the focus of the women, but here are three of the most current events that have happened to me in the last three days. 

1. Today I was watching after my kuitangata (grandpa), while my mom was making tapa. Let's remember that he knows zero English. He was sitting on the front porch singing. I noticed that the singing had stopped. I go to check on him and he was half way down the road. I go running after him (the running was maybe dramatic because the man is slow, but I seriously I had one job and I was failing) and yell Kuitangata to him. He turns around and gives me a big smile. I then say to him, "ha'u 'api, ha'u 'api" which means "come home, come home". He laughs and says, "sai pe" (okay)  and starst to go back home! That was a relief :)

2. I walked into my bathroom the other day and there was a huge hina (spider) on my wall. I died a little on the inside. I took a picture of it for evidence and then went to get my brother to get it. When we went back in my bathroom it was gone. I did not sleep well that night to say the least. 


3. Tongan babies. These cute little humans do not need an explanation. They are just cute. 


Much love, friends! 

ps. I am healthy :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment