“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi

Friday, September 26, 2014

Strep Tonga

Wednesday night I went to bed happy and healthy. Thursday morning I woke up not so happy and definitely not so healthy. I woke up with a very sore throat. I went to school and my leaders could tell that I was not up to par considering I was being quiet. They called the doctor. We have a fabulous doctor, Dr. Anareta. I had a high fever, but she didn't think it was strep just a virus. She sent me home. As the day proceeded I continued to get worse. My fever wouldn't break and the pain reliever was doing nothing for me. Dr. Ana made a house call and gave me a better pain reliever, but still thought it was just a virus.

Wednesday night after Dr. Ana left my host family insisted that since I am a Tongan now that I also see a Tongan doctor. So my family bundled me up and walked me next door where a Tongan doctor rubbed a mint grass on my neck and gave my shoulders and head a massage. It felt wonderful and the minty smell was very refreshing. I felt special that my family thought I was worthy of Tongan medical care and who would of thought that a Tongan doctor lived right next door :) I am not sure this treatment was medical, but it was very relaxing!

Thursday morning I wake up and I could not swallow. I tried to take some medicine and thought I was going to throw up from the pain. I hadn't had any water because it hurt so bad to swallow (I was feeling the effects of dehydration). Then I started to drool because I couldn't even swallow my own saliva. It was at this point that I started to have a mental breakdown. I called Dr. Ana and could barely get any words out. She comes straight over and looks at my throat again and my throat is now swollen, inflamed, and showing signs of infection. She draws my blood and starts me on penicillin.

Today I have no fever, haven't drooled, drank water, ate food, went on a short walk outside, and showered. God bless, antibiotics! Hopefully this case of strep 27 days into my 27 months of service isn't foreshadowing the rest of my journey.

Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment